Saturday, June 5, 2010

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Waiting for my grande skinny vanilla latte, Wee Miss asks me to pick her up.  She's too heavy now to straddle my hip, so she's holding onto my neck for dear life with her legs around my waist, and I'm supporting her as best I can with my wimpy arms under her bum.  From her vantage point, she can see the display at The Children's Place, behind me.

Missy Moo:  I wish I am a boy.
Me:  You wish you were a boy?  Why?
Moo:  I like they's shorts. (I love the way she butchers English, still!)
Me:  You like their shorts? You don't have to be a boy.  You can wear boy shorts, if you want.
Miss:  No! That'd be silly! I'm a girl!
Me:  Girls can wear boy clothes.
Missy: Noooo.
Me:  Yes, they can.  Girls can do anything boys can do.  And boys can do anything girls can do.
Missy Moo:  Noo! Boys can do boy things! (Where does she get this stuff? I never once told her that!)
Me:  There are no boy and girl things.  Boys and girls can do anything they want to do.
Miss:  Boys can wear my Snow White dwess?
Me: Yup.
Miss: And Ariel and Belle and...and...and even da pwincess on my Pwincess and da Fwog sunglasses?!
Me: Yup.  It doesn't matter what anybody wears, as long as they're happy.
Missy: Oh.  Can I wear doze boy shorts?
Me: If you want those boy shorts, we can come back again and get you some boy shorts.
Missy:  Yaay!  (pondering....) Mommy?
Me:  Yes, baby?
Moo:  You gettin' your coffees?
Me:  Yup!  It's almost ready.
Miss:  Oh.  Can I have a cookie? Please, berry please!

The conversation is over, the moment has passed, and I'm not sure anything has sunk in.  The Little Miss's mind moved on to cookies (which she got), the little boy who was bouncing while she was trying to fly to the animal place, and to the little girl who was blocking the slide.  I, on the other hand, have been thinking about it all day and I have no idea if I said enough, if I said too much, if any seed was planted. 

Gender equality and acceptance are huge lessons for a little girl to learn, and I know it'll take a few trips around the block for her to 'get' it...But they are so very important, and I am responsible for molding her social views.  What an enormous responsibility!  I hope I don't screw it up.  And it would be helpful if life had a pause button so I could step away and call my Mommy for some advice first.

1 comment:

  1. Someday she'll see Titi and Aunti K (Kiki?) were the closest thing Poppy had to boys! LOL

    ReplyDelete