Monday, November 15, 2010

I did not Expect That: The Day I Realized Another Side of Him

He doesn't say much of anything at all.  His days are spent chasing and hugging his sister, and he communicates mostly in the form of smiles, giggles and belly-laughs.  But the wheels are turning inside his little head, and he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Every Saturday afternoon, our local Chapters store offers a craft and storytime.  If we don't have anything else planned for that day, we try to take the kids (plus, it's the only Starbucks in the area and sometimes a girl's just gotta have her ridiculously overpriced latte!).  The Little Miss sits and not-so-quietly appreciates the story ("HA! It's a DINOSAUR! And he's wearing he's hat! You silly little dinosaur! I LIKE this story!  It's SO silly!"), and draws on the table-length of paper they have rolled out for the kids. The Little Man, however, makes a beeline straight for the Thomas & Friends train table, where he will remain until we carry him, literally kicking and screaming, out the door.

Before I continue the story, let me paint you a picture of Every Day Momma's Wee Little Man: he's just that - Momma's Little Man.  He's in the middle of a furious separation anxiety phase, where he cannot bear for me to be out of his eyesight (unless it's on his terms, of course) for any amount of time.  If I - heaven forbid! - have to use the bathroom or take a shower and I close the door, he will pound his little fists on the door and crumple into a sobbing heap on the floor, screaming "Da! Daaaaaaaa! Daaaa! Noooo! Daaaa!" (No, he still doesn't call me "Ma, Momma, or Mommy) at me until the door is opened, and I'm greeted with a tackle-hug and snotty kisses.  He also loves his big sister, and he cries when she cries, laughs when she laughs and just follows her around like a little puppy.  He loves cuddles and kisses, tickles and zerberts, reading and colouring (at 21 months old, he holds a crayon much better than almost-4-years-old Little Miss - who, coincidently?, has no interest in colouring), and I'm pretty sure he plans on marrying Dora The Explorer when he grows up.  The Little Man is just the sweetest little boy you could ever meet, and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased (I'm totally biased)...he really is! He's a lover, a helper, a peacemaker.  He's awesome. Love!

Back to the story.  So The Little Man makes a beeline for the train table, as per usual.  I pull up a tiny chair, and get comfy - we're going to be here a while.  I'm not one of those overbearing moms who micromanage their child's play, so I'm pretty silent unless there's a problem the kids can't work out on their own, or if I see an opportunity for a learning experience (like the little girl who wants to play with one of the two green trains my child is hoarding, my child will be forced to share because I want them to recognize when there's an opportunity for them to share, to make someone happy, to help someone out, blah blah all that good citizen stuff).  As I'm sitting there quietly watching, I notice that my little guy's got his eye on the ONLY Thomas on the table, but that Thomas is quite snug in the fist of another little boy.  The Little Man slowly makes his way around the table, to the side of the little boy and plays for a few seconds and then BAM! Steals the Thomas right out of his hand!  I make mine give Thomas back ("No, Littlest Lord. We don't steal toys from others."), and he collapses in a dramatic heap on the floor, sobbing. I sit back down - his tantrums don't last long.

A few seconds later, he's up and playing at the table again.  The little boy with Thomas has moved to the other side of the table, and  mine starts sloooooowly making his way around the table, pushing his Gordon along the track.  Again, a little while of playing side by side and then WHAP! He's stolen Thomas again!  I return Thomas to his temporary owner, my Wee Little Man collapses, heartbroken, and the cycle starts again.  This time, he's moving much slower and, by the time he makes it next to the Thomas Boy, Thomas Boy has to leave.  Thomas Boy is also on to The Little Man's schemes and is determined that he will not have Thomas, no matter what.  Thomas Boy has a complete FLIP OUT because he knows that as soon as his mother pulls him away from the table, my little guy will have Thomas - and, judging by the look on my little guy's face, he's figured it out, as well.  In the commotion, a newcomer joins the table, and my little guy is quick to hand over one of his two trains.  While the new kid is happily playing, the Thomas Boy is kicking up the biggest stink, The Little Man's eyes don't leave the prize.  Finally, the mom scoops her guy up, tosses his train on the table and carries him out and, before anyone else realizes there's a Thomas on the table, the Littlest Lord has switched it with the Gordon in his hand, and he is just beaming! 

I know this is normal child's play, but I honestly didn't think my little sweetie had it in him and I got a little chuckle out of watching him and, I admit, I was a little proud of him when he finally got Thomas for himself.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Tis me...sweet story, happy well deserved ending, at a boy!

    ReplyDelete