This is Dee. The Wee Miss. Missy Moo. She was born with a unilateral incomplete cleft in her lip. She looked like this:
Beautiful, right?? Although the cleft was relatively minor as far as clefts go, I was told that she likely wouldn't nurse well and would require special bottles, that she may be susceptible to ear infections, that her speech may be delayed. In true Missy Moo fashion, she refused to listen and did things her own way: none of those things affected her. She nursed until she was 13 months old, started talking as soon as she figured out she could make noises and, at 4 years and 8 months old, has never had an ear infection (*knock on wood*).
We were taken under the wing of the Cleft Palate Team at the IWK Children's Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Treatment includes at least three surgeries: one when she was 4 months old, one at 4 years old, and another at approximately seven years old, as well as being followed yearly by their ENT, dentists, orthodontists, consultations with speech language pathology, their pediatricians, etc. Missy Moo has a world-renowned surgeon. She's in the best hands there, to say the very least.
After her lip repair at 4 months old (I can't seem to find the pictures), I was told that she likely wouldn't want to nurse and might have to move to bottles. She was nursing and smiling and laughing within an hour of waking in recover. I knew then that she was really something special, but you know parents...we worry.
I knew this next surgery was coming. In fact, I spent the last year worrying about it: how she would do, would she be scared, would it change how she sees herself. When we got the call two weeks ago, I was equally relieved and anxious to finally get it over with.
| They love each other. |
Even though she was worried about the blood work hurting, she did awesome! She sat on my lap, held her arm still like I showed her and did awesome! She whimpered during it but, as soon as she saw the nurse draw a happy face and a heart on her band aid, she was over it, and declared the process 'SO COOL!'.
| Pre-surgery cuddle. |
Finally, it was surgery time. She was allowed to take her favourite toy, Pinky Pie, back into the OR with her, and the nurses gave it a special hospital bracelet with Pinky Pie's name on it so she wouldn't get lost. The nurse misheard Pinky Pie's name, and Missy Moo took one look at the bracelet and yelled "Her name is Pinky PIE, not Pinky POO! Dis needs to be done over.", and held the pony out with her little foot tapping the floor in typical Moo fashion...Any fears I had that she was nervous were squelched.
| Scooby-Dooby-Doo time. |
Sitting in the family waiting room watching food shows on CBC TV, it was a strange feeling. As each child eventually awoke in the recovery room, you could hear their cries and every parent would stiffen waiting for the phone call that would tell them if it was their child. When the phone finally rang for us, I was caught off guard - there was no accompanying cry.
We walked back to see her, Handsome Hubby carrying the balloon he and The Wee Little Man picked out for her. It was a somber march for Handsome and I - the last time we made this journey, we both sobbed over her tiny baby body and the IV in her scalp. This time, as soon as she saw us, she yelled "A RAINBOW DASH BALLOON FOR ME?!"....and that was that. I had to chuckle - here she was no doubt in pain and she was more concerned about a balloon than seeing us.
The rest of her recovery has been exactly the same: She's taken everything in stride and just has an absolutely beautiful view of the world, an amazing little spirit...I'm just constantly in awe of her.
She was feeling better after a little something to eat (tomato soup, yogurt, ice cream - which she declared to be 'Da best soup EVAH!'), and started walking around toting her IV pole behind her. As Handsome and I were wrangling The Littlest Lord (who was, no doubt, feeling a little lost in the shuffle), she snuck into the bathroom to peek in the mirror at herself. When I saw her come out, my stomach dropped a little: would she think she was ugly or scary looking? She looked at me, and said "Mommy? This [indicating her entire face] is SOOPAH COLOURFUL!"
LOVE her!
| "Mommy! I can see our house from here!" |
She woke up the next morning, full of spunk and back to her old self. When her peepers opened she said to me, "Mommy, I fink I'll be a nurse when I grow up, so I can help kids just like me."
As soon as the activity room opened at 9:30 am, she was down there (without her IV pole!) and tried out every single toy and activity, and chatted the ear off of everyone in there! The activity room is monitored by medically trained volunteers, so the kids can be supervised while the parents take a break. Missy Moo all but kicked me out, saying "You go. Dey'll look after me."
The only time the tears fell was when we were leaving the hospital, and the only way I could calm her down was to remind her that we had to come back to have her stitches taken out.
Missy Moo is awesome. She's strong, she's confident, she's sensitive and caring, and she sees the world with love in her eyes. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

She is awesome personified! She was lucky to have the little man with her because obviously he has a very calming effect.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm very glad she made the nurse correct the name on Pinkie Pie. I'd hate to think where the pony may have wound up if they'd become separated and Pinkie could only be directed by the name "Poo."
LOVED the video! <3
The wee miss certainly is a going concern, and a very happy little thing, she is all you think she is and more, plus she has the little Lord in training. Nobody teaches humble more than a child, no bodies eyes are opened more in awe and amazement than is a child, and no body teaches us to love, more than a child. Resiliant awesome bundle of energy, she is part one of a two part story. You and handsome hubby will just have to be content to live your lives very amazed, savoring the chapters as you go. Way to go little Missy!
ReplyDeleteI am so, so, glad that it all went well! She is such an amazing, perfect, little girl! :)
ReplyDeleteDee & her brother are the reason for their ancestors existence. The generations before her must be very pleased with their descendent who is such a testament to the lineage that she came from. With the love & support that she gets daily from her parents brother & network of friends the world is surely her oyster and she is savouring every last molecule of it. The video screams out that nothing will stop her from putting past speed bumps behind her and then moving on. In my case she is a precious jewel that embodies and emboldens the "Serenity" Prayer.
ReplyDeleteThe Serenity Prayer
Path
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
She also reminds me of the Bedouin Proverb about a man standing 24 hours a day in beautiful sunshine for weeks on end and how he will soon find himself in a desert because we need storms in our life in order to thrive. And she certainly knows how to thrive.