Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How Easter Slowly Sucked the Life Out of Me or YAY, EASTER!

Easter.  Although Handsome Hubby and I are Atheists, who doesn't like enormous amounts of chocolate and excuses to buy spring toys for your kids on the sly?  Plus, look at how cute this Easter Bunny is!


*ahem* Moving on...

I had big plans for this year. The Wee Little Miss is older now and that means more fun! Plus, The Wee Little Mister is older, too...but he doesn't count because all he cares about is whether or not his big sister is smiling at him.  I was going to make holiday themed sugar cookies, decorate wooden or ceramic eggs with Missy Moo, make hand print paintings of the Easter Bunny...We were going to have FUN! And we were going to do this EVERY YEAR!!

Somehow that didn't happen. Time slipped away and before I knew it, Easter weekend was here, and kicked off with a bang with the arrival of Handsome Hubby's parents. They came Thursday and that evening, Nanny surprised me with Lindor chocolate eggs. OH EM GEE. There is no chocolate on the face of the earth that tastes better than Lindt. We all tucked in - I decided to only eat the larger eggs, and limited myself to two so I could savour them later; I don't get treated with Lindt often, and I need to stretch it out.  The Wees, on the other hand, gorged themselves...MORE, MORE!! I'm an 'everything-in-moderation' parent, so as far as I'm concerned, they could only eat it until it was gone (sidenote: I dont know if I should be impressed or afeared that I've adopted a lot of the sayings my parents used on us...Hmm..I'll mull that over later) which meant that if they only wanted to eat chocolate, they could fill their boots.

The Wee Little Miss loves her 'sweet fings' a LOT; however, she tires of it and ate 'real' food pretty well over the weekend. The Wee Little Man, however....Well, when I see the manic look in his eye, I get a lump in my throat...I once was a chocoholic, too, and I can understand that desperation more than anything. The Wee Little Man hasn't eaten anything but chocolate, save for a handful of Goldfishes and a few bites here and there, since The Moment the Lindor Eggs Were Opened.

Our weekend was laid-back and fun. The laughter and enjoyment was punctuated by brief periods of tantrums where, like a junky, The Little Man would lay on the floor and SCREAM and kick and writhe in agony waiting for...pleading for!...his next mouthful of pure milk bliss. The only thing I could substitute chocolate for is my iTouch (which, actually, produced the same tantrums when the battery wore out or it was The Wee Little Miss' turn). Well, Easter comes but once a year...if he wants chocolate, by all means give it to him - goodness knows he doesn't get it any other time.

As I sit here, my feet up on my chair and my body pressed as close to the wall as possible, in an effort to make myself into a smaller target for flying magnetic letters, I now see the error of my ways.  He's turned into a chocolate fiend. I doubt there is enough soap and water to remove the chocolate shavings from under his nails, or the brown beard from his chin. I have willingly allowed the switch in his mind to be triggered, changing him from a mild-mannered sweetie-boy to a raving chocolunatic, caring only about the next mouthful - it doesn't matter how he has to get it, or whether it was melted to the couch by an unknowing buttocks.

I'm sorry, Little Lord. I should have seen this coming as both myself and my father suffer from the same affliction - although I'm very proud to say that I'm reformed (relatively speaking), so there is light. Your Poppy, though....there's no hope of recovery for him.

4 comments:

  1. Funny enough... Poppy only bought Lindt chocolate eggs and bunnies for himself and Nana this Easter. Gave Hunky Chris the Mr. Crunchy bunny. HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. As devout Christians Linda & I enjoyed watching the C.S Lewis Allegory ( Aventures of Narnia Disney production Prince Caspian )of Christ's return to save mankind as Aslain the lion with our son & & daughter-in-law. The real sweetness for our Easter this year was in sharing quality time with our loved ones. However we also missed out on savorying the joy of sharing the Easter Services at home which we cherish so much. We were so happy to share the chocolate moments & know the special magical moments of family loving to be together . Note to Megan who has no ability to refuse a Timmy Cup whenever we pass a Tim Horton's shop. You might have traded the Coco Bean fix for the Coffee Bean fix. Wink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The truism's of being a chocloholic! I might add it started with your Daddies Daddy. Your Mommies Mommy was no better and her mother...worse. Seems like the youngs have developed a hankering for the sweeties...ah but then again...those who love chocolate always seem to be happier people...let them be happy, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it Happier People or maybe HIPPIER Donna??? Wink.LOL

    ReplyDelete